Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Love, Brigitte Bardot

The first thing I saw in the news today when I opened my computer was a headline in French announcing that Brigitte Bardot had written Sara Palin a letter. How sweet.

Yesterday I had a grand tour of all four schools where I will be teaching. Little by little, I am learning the ins and outs of the French education system. I have students from age 6 to 10, and they all seem so excited to learn English, and impressed that their new "maitresse" is from the United States.

When I was introduced and they found out where I come from, there was a loud gasp all across the room and their eyes popped! Everyone knows about New York, some about Hollywood, and Barack Obama. A few knew Denver, pronounced "Dahn-vay," but none of the children, or teachers, know where Minneapolis is. Their homework for our first class is to locate it on a map.

After spending a day in the schools, meeting students and colleagues, walking around Gueret is a completely new experience. I've been recognized on the street as the new American teacher, and so warmly welcomed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello you probly wont read this won since its so far from the present but I felt like leaving a comment cause no one else did