Thursday, November 6, 2008

President Obama!

I received a text message at 4:47 am (France time) yesterday morning from Alex:

"So it happened! Obama is our president!"

Kendra and I, in our slumber, muttered something along the lines of "woo hoo..." and dozed off. She shot straight up in bed about an hour later and said "Wait! How do they know so soon?!"

Still Asleep, I muttered, "...must'vebeena LANDslide..."

"Oh, yeah, a land slide."

An hour later, both unable to sleep, we needed physical proof that this had indeed happened. She went out to buy a paper, but of course the French papers had already been printed before the news was out.

So we popped open a bottle of champagne and celebrated with mimosas and fresh croissants. Drunk at around 10am, we decided we needed to see it in the flesh. We didn't want to have finished a bottle of "Champagne in vain for McCain." We bundled up an dheaded to the Turkish kebab place where we've become regulars.

Our friends immediately turned on the TV to the news and I started crying. I know I've never been moved to tears by anything in politics. Seeing that we elected this great, handsome, capable, compassionate man to be our leader gave me chills and a sense of pride in my country that I have never felt in my life.

Oh, baby.

In other news, life is rolling along here in Creuse. I got paid for all the work I've done this month, so I have money in my bank account. I got my check book and bank card and they are so cool... I actually live here!

I also received my first package from the US today!!! Alex sent me some music and pictures and dark chocolate peanut M&Ms. He also sent a sweet T-shirt that has a big red heart on it saying "Someone in Minneapolis loves me." I'm a lucky girl, and he has set the bar very high for care packages.

I put it on right away and wore it to work this afternoon. All the kids freaked when they saw me wearing it because they know that their super cool American English teacher is from Minneapolis, so they were really proud to be able to read my shirt. Represent.

P.S. I love you too, boo.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

must have been a landslide...