Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Oh la vache!

A few pictures of the "plan d'eau Courtille" which is like Gueret's equivalent of Lake Calhoun. People running, walking, basking in the sun, picnicking... I walked all the way around it this morning and took some pictures of the stunning country side. The town is built in the hills and has tiny little pedestrian alley ways everywhere. People smile and welcome me wherever I go.

I feel the space of this spot in the world and it is a breath of fresh air. I woke up this morning to the sound of screaming French kids outside my bedroom window (since my apartment is upstairs from the school, I really do look out onto the playground!). I brought Grandma Nita's Hatha Yoga book and started reading it today. I wanted to share a paragraph that I especially connected with:

"We are constantly in a state of 'becoming,' and we make choices every day as to what we experience, as to our thoughts, our relationships with other people and the environment--even as to rest, exercise, and nutrition--which influence what we become. Be conscious of these choices as you make them. None of them are unimportant. All add up to what you are and will be."

-Nita Nickerson, Hatha Yoga: Class Notes

I liked it because, so often, when us young things go off to Europe or on other worldly expeditions, it is with the purpose of "finding ourselves, " and that hasn't resonated with me, because I know where I am, and where I've come from. Creating ourselves even with the food we choose to put inside our bodies, the people we surround ourselves with, and all other choices we make and then being aware of this can be a powerful, scary, and wonderful experience.

I also included a leftover picture from Florence... Rachel and I got creative in the hotel room.







Waking up for the second day in the Creuse, having spent my first day and night in Gueret! I went with my program director, Evelyne, to the inspection academique, where she works. We had a few visits to apartments and moved me into the apartment above a primary school annex.

Unfortunately, this is only for the month, but it is lovely and huge! The kitchen over looks a large garden and my bedroom has a view of the IUFM, and old building that houses conferences and teachers in training, and a view of the valley. I think the bathroom was made for about 16 people, and you can fit as many into the tub. There are four bedrooms set up with little twin beds... oh the things I could do with this space if it were mine!

I've already pulled out my African fabric duvet cover that Grandma Ann made for me, and Rachel bought me a scarf in Italy which I'm using to cover my desk. All my pictures are up and smiling at me... I miss you, home! Alas, I will move somewhere else at the end of the month, I am hoping that this will be enough time to get a feel for the city and find a darling apartment on the top floor of some building on the hill.

After d'avoir m'installee in my aparment, I accompanied Evelyne throughout her work day, though most of her work was helping me move in to Gueret, introducing me to everyone in the office and the teachers I will be working with, taking me to lunch with her and her colleagues.

We went to a restaurant called Le Moderne, right on Place Bonnyaud in the center of town. Everybody seems to know or at least recognize Evelyne, so spending the day with her was a little like walking into Cheers with Kirsty Allen.

Another woman, who is on the verge of retirement (and also being my adopted grandmother while living here), Catherine, asked me what I needed to get settled and promptly took me to her apartment to collect pillows, little bonne maman jams (she was excited to tell me she stole these), coffee pot and sheets. She took me to the grocery store and helped me pick out some food, letting me know which brand she thought was the best. It reminded me of shopping with Deanna, which put a smile on my face.

I spent a few hours making my space a little more homey, and then went about the task of reading the materials I had gathered from the office of tourism. There is indeed a giant labyrinthe outside of the city, as well as a wolf park. There are about a fafillion equestrian centers in this region alone. Not far from my apartment there is the Espace Fayolle, which is Gueret's community center. It has a pool and painting classes, salsa lessons, pottery, WiFi :), music lessons for little kids... and a lot more. We are at the foothills of the Massif Central here in Gueret, not far from skiing and mountain hiking, and mountain biking. The autoroute that passes through here is one that connects Switzerland to the sea, and is aptly named something like "Suissemer..."

Another assistant, Kendra from Michigan, arrived from the USA yesterday and is staying with me until her apartment in La Souterraine is ready. She and I immediately started chatting it up, decided to go find a pay phone and an open restaurant at 8pm on Monday night. Anywhere else in the world, something might be open, but Sundays AND Mondays are the days that Gueret closes up shop during the week. No matter, we found wood oven pizza with all the veggies we could want and a bottle of rose, both which we brought back to the apartment and savoured...

Kendra brought a guitar, which she started learning how to play in January. We shared some pictures and stories, and then started singing and playing together. We sang, and got through American Pie in its entirety. Some Beatles songs, of course, and then a few songs by bands I've not heard of. It was a lovely first evening in Gueret.

Today, we're going to go buy cellphones, find an internet connection, and then go to the enormous "pond," Etang Courtille, and have a picnic with our leftover pizza. Wednesday will be another free day, and Thursday we start our classroom observations.

I'm just loving every minute of this experience, and in part because I have such wonderful support from home. Thank you for encouraging me to embark on such a great adventure.

No comments: